Let us help! If you have experienced domestic violence or sexual assault, know that we are here for you and want to help. At One Place, victims and survivors make their own decisions about who to speak to and the resources they choose to utilize. Our goal is to make it as simple as possible by locating resources together in one location.
At One Place, the following resources are available:
- Criminal legal assistance (Jefferson County District Attorney’s Office)
- Civil legal assistance (YWCA Family Law Center)
- Counseling (YWCA, Crisis Center)
- Court advocacy (YWCA, Crisis Center)
- Emergency and transitional housing placement (YWCA)
- Public benefits assistance (YWCA)
- Safety planning (YWCA and Crisis Center)
- Police report & investigation (Birmingham Police Department)
- SANE – forensic exam (Crisis Center)
What to expect when you visit One Place:
One of our highest priorities at One Place is hospitality. When you arrive at One Place, we want you to feel welcome, comfortable, and safe. Someone will greet you and speak with you one-on-one about the available resources at One Place. This person will serve as your guide to getting the help you need from the various agencies represented on-site, as well as some off-site partner agencies.
Another one of our top priorities at One Place is confidentiality. We keep everything you tell us strictly confidential, and will not share your information with anyone without your express permission.
We know that, often times, your children may have already heard more than you would like them to know. We want you to feel comfortable talking openly with us, so we have a playroom full of toys ready for your children to enjoy.
No matter what you’ve experienced, we want you to be safe. The first step toward achieving this goal is to assess the danger of your situation. Next, we can discuss the following:
- A safety plan that works for you
- Civil and criminal remedies for your protection
- Temporary shelter and/or housing options
- Counseling and support group opportunities
- Additional legal options and advocacy